<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Friday, July 01, 2005

Tibouchina 


I was shopping at Lowe's and found a shrub that had a beautiful purple flower on it. The bloom was absolutely rich in color and even though I had not heard of the plant I decided to take it home anyway.

Conducting my usual research starting with my reference books I found it. Brazilian Glorybush or Spider Flower also known as Tibouchina is from Brazil. It flowers summer through fall and prefers good protected light and well watered soil in the growing season. Growing to 8 feet tall, Tibouchina should be pruned annually to keep its shape.

There are many varieties of this gorgeous plant - urvilliana, grandifolia, and semidecandra to name a few. They are part of the Melastomataceae family (whew!-try to pronounce that one). Happy Florida Gardening and enjoy a Glorybush in your garden.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?