<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Friday, June 03, 2005

Purslane 

I love everything about purslane. It stands up to heat and drought, spreads where you want it to, and makes a great ground cover. Not to mention the fact that the flowers are absolutely gorgeous! And, to top everything off, you can actually eat the plant.

When I lived in Maryland, I found purslane for sale once at one of my favorite garden shops. The summary info on the accompanying card talked about what a weed it is but it does well as a summer addition to the garden. I was very taken with the plant so when I moved to Florida I was not at all surprised to see flats of purslane available in the garden stores. What I didn't know, but should have suspected, is that it is a relative to the mexican rose. As a kid, I remember my mother used to plant mexican rose throughout her Maryland garden. I loved looking for the plants going to seed and would pop the seed pods and scatter the seeds throughout the garden. I'll bet she always wondered how the portulaca spread so far into her gardens when she used them as border plants.

As I did a little research on purslane, the latin name portulaca oleracae kept coming up, so that's when I put 2 and 2 together so to speak. Mexican rose or moss rose is a smaller variety that tolerates the same conditions as its bigger sister. I particularly like mexican rose in hanging containers since it will drape down as it grows and also does well in rock gardens. Here's something I didn't know - porto means to carry and lac means milk, hence explaining the succulent leaves.

Purslane and moss rose have very showy and colorful flowers. The blooms last one day and range from white to pink to orange, yellow and red and multi-hues in between. My favorite is a mexican rose I have in a lion's head pot. It is white with a lavender center - absolutely without a doubt drop dead beautiful! If you'd like some steadily performing color in your garden, count on portulaca to do it. Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments:
Hi Blogger,
During my search for information about backyard gardening, I found your Blog,
although Purslane isn't exactly what I was looking for, I like the topic and the way you wrote it. My interest goes out to backyard gardening related information, but I always admire a well written post.
 
Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?