<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Nicotiana 

I have always loved Nicotiana and, up north, added it to the landscape every spring. Also known as jasmine tobacco, nicotiana alata is considered an annual in cold climates and a tender perennial farther south. The plant grows to about 1 1/2' high and produces wonderfully fragrant blooms in white, pink, red or lime green.

As we were shopping for plants for the new semi-shade garden, I spied a table full of nicotiana in green. Thinking I would like a variety of colors I decided to get one and wait until the other colors were available before purchasing more. We placed the plant close to the deck and the fragrance was unbelievable so we decided to go back and get more. All the plants were gone. Thinking back to the stores we visited - Home Depot, Lowes and Beckett Lake Nursery - we diligently revisited each one every time thinking that was where we had purchased the plant. Ending at Beckett Lake, my husband asked the clerk where the nicotiana was located. Her reply was not expected. "We don't carry nicotiana and haven't done so for a few years. It has fallen out of favor." Fallen out of favor??!! I couldn't believe what I heard. Nicotiana is one of those old favorites that blooms all summer and smells so wonderful. How could it no longer be wanted by Florida gardeners? I still see it offered in all the garden catalogs I receive so it must only be here that folks don't grow it.

And so it goes. I guess it's true for many annuals - they are loved for a few years and then are forgotten for something new. But, if it's anything like the fashion industry they will be back in favor again. And I'll be ahead of the pack because I'll be growing it all along. Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?