<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Hibiscus revisited 

I got a call from my sister the other day. She was clearing some of my mother's gardens. As she started on the side yard that is loaded with hibiscus, Carol noticed that the plants appeared to be chewed on and many of the leaves were dropping. So, the call I received was "What's wrong with these hibicus plants?" I asked her to describe what she was seeing. She told me it looked like maybe some white stuff, some black spots and definitely chew marks. I pulled out my trusty Encyclopedia of Gardening and...nothing. I leafed through a few other garden books and again nothing. I've searched on the net and still nothing. By nothing I mean not all the symptoms she has mentioned. The white stuff sounded like a fungus and same with the black spot. The chew marks - maybe a mealybug or aphid? We agreed it would make sense to cut the plants down as much as possible since they were already up to about 5 feet in height. That would get rid of most of the infected leaves. The next step was to get Safer's Insecticidal Soap and keep a close eye on the plants. I'll keep searching for information and, in the meantime, let's hope we're successful. I'll keep you posted. Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?