<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Friday, December 24, 2004

So which is it - pinus or pine? 

I had to chuckle the other day. My husband and I were walking out of Home Depot and, as usual, I glanced at the plants outside of the garden area. There were a large number of palm trees and the usual bougainvillea sitting around. Then I noticed what I thought was a pine tree - unusual for Home Depot. Sure enough, as I approached it was a pine - about 6 feet tall and very healthy. I wasn't sure what type of pine it was so looked for the tag. Home Depot identified it as a pinus pine. What? I looked again for the small print but there was none. Sure enough, they were labeling this pine as a pinus pine.

Now, from everything I know and have read a pine is a pinus and a pinus is a pine. But that doesn't tell me what type of pine or pinus this tree was. So I pulled out my handy dandy Florida's Best Native Landscape Plants and started digging around (no pun intended). I'm pretty sure what I saw at the store was a Longleaf Pine or pinus palustris. Here's why I think that - the needles were longish, draped downward, and there were quite a few coming from one cluster. The longleaf pine grows from 60 to 120 feet and spreads 30-50 feet preferring full sun and sandy soil. Apparently it does not require supplemental irrigation. I also read that its life span is in excess of 200 years and they are hardier and longer lived than other pines in the south. Companion plants for the longleaf pine include wiregrass and sand live oak.

I have some advice for Home Depot. When you stock your stores be sure to label your plants - folks count on knowing what they're buying before they do so. To the rest of us we may need to download that Pocket Gardener I told you about so you don't have to carry your reference books with you. Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?