<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Friday, September 24, 2004

Aye-yi-yi-yi-yi 

We have a friend who, when faced with problems, immediately shakes his head and says "Aye-yi-yi-yi-yi" - sort of the same sound I make when my cat nibbles on my leg to tell me I need to feed him. I am reminded of that because we are yet again at another aye-yi-yi-yi-yi crossroads. Hurricane Jeanne has decided to visit Florida after all. Why? Who knows. I guess it's not enough that her siblings - Charley, Frances and Ivan have all come by for their summer vacation. Now she has to follow suit. Jeanne was supposed to stay out in the Atlantic and make her own way in life. She was supposed to be independent and make her own decisions, but no. She had to follow the crowd and is now threatening the east coast of Florida. I have many friends and co-workers who will be closely affected by her path if in fact she makes landfall as expected. The poor folks in central Florida will again have high winds and rain on top of all the other devastation they have had to experience over the last two months. Here in Pinellas County we will have winds and rain, but thankfully will be spared yet again from high amounts of damage.

My sister told me the other day that she has heard numerous tales about Indians who first settled in Pinellas. The story goes that an Indian chief recited an incantation that would protect this county from hurricanes forever. She went on to tell me that there is metal buried throughout the county that reinforces the protection. Aye-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi. I don't know. I've searched on the internet for references to this and come across many stories about Tocobagan Indians as well as Seminole and a few others who were in Pinellas or "Point of Pines" many, many, many years ago, But no word of what my sister refers to.

I'm definitely not dismissing the story. First of all, it gives me some level of comfort to know we may have a higher power looking over us and keeping our residents from the worst of the storms. I also am intrigued and want to keep searching until I can uncover all the details. I purchased a book about the history of Florida before we moved here (yes, I'm that anal) but have never really read through it so that may be my first information source. I'll keep at it and let you know what I find out. In the meantime, I'm going to appeal to the Indian power and ask that they continue to keep us protected during this horrendous year of storms. I'm also going to ask that they protect as best they can our neighbors to the east and keep Jeanne in the Atlantic. In the meantime, if you have knowledge of what Carol tells me let me know. I'd love to know more. Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?