<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Sunday, August 15, 2004

A crinum lily identified 

Now that the hurricane threat has mercifully passed, it's time to begin identifying more plants growing in my garden. There have been gorgeous lilies blooming in the side garden that I could not identify. At first I thought it was a Crinum, but the leaves did not fit the description in most of my reference books. The leaves of these lilies are strap-shaped and the blooms come up on a thick stalk of about 8 buds. The pictures I had seen as well as the lilies in the stores all had sword-shaped leaves. Well, sure enough I found out it truly is a Crinum lily and appears to be a Crinum bulbispermum or an Ellen Bosanquet. How did I find out? My friends at Plant Delights Nursery. There on page 13 of their latest catalog was a beautiful full color picture.

Crinum lilies are Florida natives and pretty easy to grow. They supposedly do well in full sun or semi-shade and adapt to either dry or wet soil. When we moved here, there were two or three clumps planted among a huge weed bed. I separated the bulbs and spread them around throughout the front and side gardens. What I have found is that the lilies in the semi-shade bed fare better than those in the full sun garden. I'm not quite sure why since they have been treated the same for food and water - the only difference is the amount of sun they receive. The lilies in the front garden have never flowered while those on the side have flowered twice. When it gets a bit cooler, I may relocate those in the front and let them join their sisters in the other garden. We'll see then how well they do. Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?