<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Monday, July 12, 2004

Cardboard or leather? 

I had heard this plant is a cardboard palm. Then someone else told me it was a leather fern. Which to believe? I did my usual search and found out. It's cardboard, hands down! Cardboard palm is an interesting plant originating on the east coast of Mexico. It is a slow grower, reaching about 4 feet in height and width. Known by its latin name, Zamia furfuracea, the plant does well in light shade. I actually have six in my side garden that were covered over by the winged elm tree I mentioned not too long ago. After we scalped the tree and pulled all the weeds, I proceeded to clip all the old leaves on the cardboard palms hoping to help spur its growth. It worked because all now have new leaves forming or so I would like to think.

The cardboard palm is not actually a palm but a cycad. All that means is that it forms a cone in the center of its leaf growth where its seed is stored. From everything I've read, apparently the cardboard palm hails back to prehistoric days and is considered a "living fossil" plant. Specifically, the Jurassic period is known as the "age of cycads", which includes our friend the zamia. You get it all here - plant information and a history lesson all in one. What more could you ask for? Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?