<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Monday, June 21, 2004

It's an elm! 

Another plug for my favorite tree service. I mentioned in a previous article that we had brazilian pepper growing in the side garden. I've been hacking and cutting, hacking and cutting trying to rid us of this pest along with finding alternative weed controls.

Our tree company came today to discuss trimming the sweet gums and palms. I mentioned to my husband that I hoped they could help us with this exotic pest tree at the same time. So, I went merrily on my way while Harlan and Loren Westenberger reviewed what needed to be done. Harlan came back in the house, wrote me a small note and smiled. It wasn't a brazilian pepper after all - it's an elm. How happy was I to find that out? Whoo, hoo! So, now I needed to research the elm.

Florida's Best Native Landscape Plants came to the rescue again. I learned that the plant is a winged elm or ulmus alata. It is a medium-sized tree that will reach between 40 and 70 feet in height, and 30 to 60 feet in spread. It's drought-resistant and grows pretty fast. That little piece of information I had already experienced since I had taken the tree down to a stump and it was already branching out at last look. It adapts well to moist or dry conditions and lives upwards of 100 years. And, a good companion plant just happens to be sweetgum. Go figure.

So another mystery solved and I can allow the elm to grow and fill its space without worry. Life is good. Happy Florida Gardening and, when in doubt, consult a tree expert. You'll be glad you did.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?