<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

You say aspidistra, I say cast-iron plant 

So, we're finally sitting on the front porch after working our behinds into a garage-cleaning frenzy. We're sipping on libations, and my husband asks, "What's that plant behind the canary palm?" I had to admit I hadn't a clue! It's been growing there very nicely since before we moved in, and I didn't have the time to figure it out so just let it do its thing.

Armed with a library of Florida garden books, I sat down to do my homework. Would you believe the first book I opened unveiled the mystery? It's a cast-iron plant! A herbaceous perennial, aspidistra forms upright clumps of leaves that are large and glossy. The book claims it gets inconspicuous flowers and I have to agree. I haven't ever seen a flower on this baby, but they are supposedly at ground level and hidden by the foliage. It is a pretty hardy shade loving plant, but can get leaf spot.

Anyway, let me give you the name of the book that helped me out. It's entitled Florida Plant Selector written by Professor Thomas Mack, among others and published by Lewis and Betty Maxwell in Tampa. It's a little paperback book I picked up for $7.00 (can't tell you where) that provides both the scientific and common names as well as growth habits, soil and moisture preferences, and any key problems. A black and white photograph is provided for each plant described. It may be a bit difficult to come by since it is an older book (revised 1988 and printed 1992), but I found it listed with Amazon.com. Happy Florida Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site
Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

back to top

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?